ՀՀ Դատավորների Միություն
The Association of Judges of the RA was founded in April, 1997. Judges of all Instance Courts of RA are members of the AJRA.
The Association of Judges of the RA as a non-governmental organization has its goals:
The Association of Judges of the Republic of Armenia is a voluntary, independent, self-sustainable professional organization which unifies judges of Armenia, members of the Constitutional Court of the Republic Armenia. With the purpose of promoting the intellectual, spiritual, and other nonmaterial needs of its members, the AJRA protects their lawful interests, as well as for ensures the authority of courts.
The main goals of the Association are:
• promotion of the formation and strengthening of sovereign, democratic, social, rule of law state in Armenia,
• assistance to the process of judicial reform, creation of democratic legal system, and further development of judicial system,
• participation in drafting of laws and other legal acts related to judiciary, discussions and expressing the positions of judges with regard to these drafts,
• protection of judicial independence, assistance to strengthening of immunity and security of judges, as well as to increasing the authority of judiciary,
• promotion of persons with high professional and moral qualities appointment of judges,
• participation in the development of professional knowledge and training of judges and candidates for judges,
• protection of rights and lawful interests of the Association members,
• promotion of guaranties for protection of Constitutional rights and freedoms of citizens,
• creation of necessary conditions for meetings, exchange of professional experience for the Association members, and organization of rest for them,
• cooperation with foreign and international judges, associations, maintaining of independent foreign activities in accordance with the goals of this Charter,
• publication of a newsletter and legal literature,
• upon necessity, provision of financial assistance to the Association members.
From 1997 to 2003 Alvina Gyulumyan was the president of the Association of Judges of the RA, judge of Constitutional Court of the RA(presently judge of ECHR).
From 2003 till today the president of the Association of Judges of the
RA is Hrachik Sargsyan, Chairman of Armavir General Jurisdiction
Since the establishment of the Association it has been publishing scientific newsletter “Judicial Power” (formerly it was called “Orinatert”). “Judicial Power” was the first from mass media, which has legal direction which reflecting judicial practices. Till 2004 the newsletter “Judicial Power” was included in the list which was established by the Higher Qualification Commission, which is acceptable for publishing the results of candidate dissertations.
In the agenda there was an issue of the membership of the Association of Judges of the RA, during the 48th Annual Meeting of the International Association of Judges which was held in 19-24 of November, 2005 in the Eastern Republic of Uruguay. In May, 2004 the Association of Judges of the RA applied with the petition of membership, wishing to become a complete member of the IAJ. The issue of membership of AJRA had been discussed in Roma, central Council of Association and finally there was considered to invite the delegation of AJRA to the 48th Annual Meeting of the International Association of Judges.
President of Association of Judges of the RA Hrachik Sargsyan and the Chairman of the Criminal Court of Appeal of the RA Tigran Sahakyan departed to Montevideo. In the session of the Meeting on the 23rd November Oberto Giacomo, the deputy Secretary-General of the IAJ presented the application of AJRA to more than 200 participants. The decision was affirmative, so the Armenian Association of Judges became the 68-th member of the IAJ. From the CIS’s countries only Moldova, Georgia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan are members of the IAJ.
The 50-th Annual Meeting of International Association of Judges took place in Trondheim, Norway in September of 2007. The delegation of AJRA also participated in this Meeting.
According to the statute of International Association of Judges one of the issues of the Annual Meeting is confirming the hosting country for the next Annual Meeting of IAJ.
Applications for holding the Meeting were submitted by the following countries: Republic of Armenia, Spain, Romania, Morocco and Kazakhstan. By exploring the applications, the Presidency Committee of IAJ previously elected the candidate members, which were the Associations of Judges of Republic of Armenia, Spain and Romania. After considering the proposals of those three countries, the Central Council of IAJ by secret ballot elected the Republic of Armenia as a hosting country for the 51st Annual Meeting of International Association of Judges 2008.
Thus, from 7th to 11th of September, 2008 in Republic of Armenia for the first time in the whole region and particularly in the region of CIS the 51-st ANNUAL MEETING OF INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF JUDGES took place, where participated from more than 53 countries 216 judges.